Chai Vegan Eggnog for Christmas!
Posted on Thursday, December 20 2018 04:00:00 PM in Chai Protein by Natalie P
Christmas is right around the corner! Get into the spirit with this rich, thick, caramelly, chai, vegan eggnog!
- 2-3 cups Unsweetened Almond milk
- 1/2 (15-ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons Chai Protein
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg + more for serving
- 3 (5-inch) cinnamon sticks
- 1 pinky-sized hunk of ginger, sliced thin (can substitute 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger)
- 15 black peppercorns
- 6 pods cardamom, smashed
- 1 star anise (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric (optional; for a bit of colour only)
- 6-7 medjool dates, pitted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Place a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the almond milk, coconut milk, Chai Protein, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, peppercorns, cardamom, star anise, and turmeric if using. Bring to just a simmer, then remove from heat. Stir and cover. Let steep for 20 minutes.
- Set a fine-mesh sieve over the pitcher of a high-speed blender. Pour milk mixture through the strainer and discard the solids. Add 6 dates, vanilla, and salt. Blend until completely smooth, 1-2 minutes. Taste and add the remaining date if you’d like it a little sweeter.
- Pour into a container with airtight lid and refrigerate until ready to serve. The nog will thicken as it cools. Stir before serving. Serve plain either warm or chilled (your preference), with or without a splash of rum, or use in eggnog lattes or as a coffee creamer (delicious)! Be sure to grate a bit of extra nutmeg over the top. Keeps refrigerated for 3-4 days.
Original source: https://www.kitchentreaty.com/chai-spiced-vegan-eggnog/